To tweet this release: http://bit.ly/YJBMpo
TORONTO (March 4, 2013) – Hot on the heels of an exciting sophomore year, MuchMusic and Coca-Cola team up for a third round of the MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers competition. Launching today, this award-winning* partnership gives young hopefuls from across Canada a shot at winning a trip to the 2013 MUCHMUSIC VIDEO AWARDS to receive the coveted Covers MMVA. Upping the ante this year, the competition expands to include duets, and the winner or winners sign a Singles Deal with Sony Music Entertainment Canada Inc., which includes a song release and music video.
Starting right now, viewers from across Canada can submit their unique renditions of some of today’s most popular songs at muchmusic.com/covers. This seven-week casting call phase allows viewers plenty of time to select their songs, get creative, and submit their entries. The user-generated submissions are then rated by fans, and judged by a panel that includes reps from Sony Music Artists and Repertoire team. After an extensive round of eliminations, three finalists receive a trip to the 2013 MUCHMUSIC VIDEO AWARDS in June, where a new winner is crowned with the 2013 Covers MMVA. In addition, each of the three finalists stars in their own commercial produced by MuchMusic. The deadline for submissions isSunday, April 21 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
“Year three of MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers promises to be bigger and better than ever,” said Neil Staite, Vice-President and General Manager, Music and Entertainment, Bell Media. “Working with Coca-Cola, we can’t wait to provide our viewers with another truly unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”
“We are so excited that MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers continues to inspire passion and creativity from coast to coast,” said Michael Samoszewski, Director of Marketing with Coca-Cola Canada. “The caliber of talent grows each year, and we can’t wait to see what Canadians show us next.”
Reigning MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers winner Tyler Shaw of Coquitlam, BC, surrenders his title to the aspiring singer or duo who takes home the hardware at the 2013 MMVAs. Since winning the MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers Award at the 2012 MMVAs, Shaw has had a collossal year including the release of Tyler’s hit single, “Kiss Goodnight,” and performing at the ACC in front of thousands of fans for both WE DAY and MuchMusic’s THE BIG JINGLE.
The 2012 Covers contest was an overwhelming success, with over 1,300 videos submitted to the site and 56 hours of content created, which is a 13% increase from 2011. Fans flocked to muchmusic.com/covers as the website generated over 628,000 visitors (more than double 2011) and an estimated 65,000 hours of time spent on the site (more than double 2011),plus over 11 million impressions delivered across social media.
For full rollout for the 2013 MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers competition, see below.
Stage 1: CASTING CALL
• Begins today, Monday, March 4, and closes Sunday, April 21 at 11:59 p.m.
• Viewers can submit videos on muchmusic.com/covers, as well as view and rate other submissions
• This stage is complemented by a 45-second co-branded broadcast and online spot, featuring 2012 Covers winner Tyler Shaw and 2011 Covers winner Danyka Nadeau
• Weekly segments on NEW.MUSIC.LIVE., and MuchMusic’s highly active social media platforms push fans to the website
• Cover song choices Include:
1. Marianas Trench – “Fallout”
2. Phillip Phillips – “Home”
3. Ne-Yo – “Let Me Love You”
4. Demi Lovato – “Give Your Heart A Break”
5. Ed Sheeran – “The A Team”
6. Frank Ocean – “Thinkin Bout You”
Stage 2: TOP 10
• Begins Monday, April 29 and continues for two weeks
• The Top 10 semi-finalists are announced and featured on the website
• This stage is complemented by a 60-second co-branded broadcast spot featuring the Top 10, and Much’s vast network of social media promotes the initiative
Stage 3: TOP 3
• Begins Monday, May 27 and continues for three weeks, leading into the MMVAs
• The Top 3 finalists are selected and announced via threel, individual 30-second co-branded spots, (one finalist per spot) and are featured on the website
• In June, all three finalists receive a trip to Toronto, including airfare, hotel accommodations, and spending money, while attending Canada’s biggest block party – the 2013 MUCHMUSIC VIDEO AWARDS!
Stage 4: WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT
• The MuchMusic and Coca-Cola Covers winner is announced at the 2013 MMVAs
• The winner lands a 60-second broadcast vignette during the show, accepting the third annual Covers Award, as well as a 30-second showcase spot that will run post-MMVAs
As the No. 1 Canadian brand for young adults, Much is an integral part of today’s pop-culture landscape. Live performances and interviews with the best Canadian and international artists, and celebrity guests put fans in the centre of the action making Much’s acclaimed street-level Toronto headquarters Canada’s epicentre of celebrity. A multiplatform Canadian icon, MuchMusic.com is a favourite destination for youth delivering music videos, user-generated content and more. Much spotlights homegrown talent through original productions and nurtures the Canadian music video production industry through its annual, multi-million dollar contribution to MuchFACT. It is available in 8.6 million households across Canada via cable, satellite, and mobile. Much is a division of Bell Media, which is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company.
About Coca-Cola in Canada
Coca-Cola in Canada operates in all ten provinces employing 6,300 people in more than 50 facilities, including seven production facilities across Canada. We offer a wide variety of non-alcoholic brands, many of which come in no-calorie and low-calorie options. These beverages include sparkling soft drinks, still waters, juices and fruit beverages, sports drinks, energy drinks, coffees and ready-to-drink teas. We’re proud to offer some of the most popular brands in Canada including Coca-Cola®, Diet Coke®, Coca-Cola Zero®, Sprite®, Fanta®, Nestea®, PowerAde®, Minute Maid®, Dasani® and vitaminwater®. Coca-Cola in Canada is represented by Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada and Coca-Cola Ltd. For more information about our Company, please visit our website at www.livepositively.ca orwww.thecoca-colacompany.com.
*Gold award winner for Brand Integration at 2012 AToMiC Awards
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Camila Ossa, Much MTV Group, 416.384.2594, firstname.lastname@example.org
Shannon Denny, Coca-Cola Refreshments Canada, 416-424-6373,email@example.com