To tweet this alert: http://bit.ly/1iCD7Q1
TORONTO (June 27, 2014) – TSN today announced their broadcast team for the 155th running of the QUEEN'S PLATE on Sunday, July 6 at 4:30 p.m. ET, as the premier event in Canadian horse racing unfolds at Woodbine Racetrack in Toronto.
This is the first time TSN has broadcast the QUEEN'S PLATE since 2007. Woodbine Entertainment Group will produce the show.
TSN’s Brian Williams hosts the first race of the Canadian Triple Crown series alongside analyst Jim Bannon. Legendary Canadian jockey Sandy Hawley reports from track level with CTV’s THE SOCIAL co-host Melissa Grelo contributing coverage from the glamorous Hats & Horseshoes party.
Long-time Woodbine track announcer Dan Loiselle calls the race for the 28th consecutive year.
TSN subscribers can access live streaming and on demand coverage of TSN’s slate of premier horse racing events via TSN GO.
Brian Williams, Host
- One of Canada’s most beloved broadcasters, Williams has called hundreds of thoroughbred races. His numerous accolades include eight Gemini Awards, two Foster Hewitt Awards, and one Canadian Screen Award.
- Williams on hosting: "I’m thrilled to be back working with Jim Bannon – one of the best horse racing analysts in the business. For decades we teamed up to cover not only the Queen’s Plate, but dozens of major races throughout North America. I remember Frank Stronach’s Awesome Again winning the Classic and Ernie Samuel’s Dance Smartly winning the Breeders’ Cup Distaff – both were Queen’s Plate winners.”
Jim Bannon, Analyst
- Bannon is a Woodbine Entertainment Group television analyst, commentator, and handicapping expert. The 2010 Gemini Award winner as Canada's Outstanding Sports Analyst is in his 50th year with Woodbine Racetrack, and has worked alongside Williams on numerous QUEEN’S PLATE and BREEDERS CUP races in the past.
- Bannon on the QUEEN’S PLATE: "It is a personal thrill to be once again partnering with Brian, whose enthusiasm for Canadian sports and horse racing in particular has been evident over many decades. The full commitment by TSN of talent and resources in presenting these world class events is a win-win situation for all."
Sandy Hawley, Trackside Analyst
- A Hall of Fame jockey and four-time Queen’s Plate winner, Sandy Hawley is widely regarded as one of the greatest race-riders in Canadian history.
- On the QUEEN’S PLATE: “The Queen's Plate is my favourite horse race of all time. I enjoyed riding in it and I was lucky enough to win four of them. I'm looking forward to being part of the broadcast team on TSN."
- A co-host of CTV’s THE SOCIAL and longtime equine enthusiast, Grelo will be on-site to cover all the fashion and lifestyle happenings at the QUEEN’S PLATE.
- On hosting Hats & Horseshoes: “The QUEEN’S PLATE is a unique event that has taken on a life of its own. I’m excited to host a special broadcast that rivals the excitement on the track with fabulous fashion, food, and fun.”
Horse Racing on TSN
Canada’s Sports Leader broadcasts every race from the Canadian Triple Crown series: the QUEEN'S PLATE, PRINCE OF WALES STAKES, and BREEDERS' STAKES, as part of a new multi-year deal with Woodbine Entertainment Group announced earlier this month. TSN is now the exclusive home of the biggest and most prestigious thoroughbred horse races in North America, as the network also delivers exclusive live coverage of the American Triple Crown: the KENTUCKY DERBY, PREAKNESS STAKES, and the BELMONT STAKES.
Please visit TSN.ca for confirmed broadcast times for the following events:
- PRINCE OF WALES STAKES – Tuesday, July 29
- BREEDERS' STAKES – Sunday, Aug. 17
- RICOH WOODBINE MILE – Sunday, Sept. 14
- PATTISON CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL – Sunday, Oct. 19
TSN is Canada's Sports Leader and #1 specialty network. With a broad portfolio of multimedia sports assets, TSN delivers world-class content across industry-leading platforms including TSN2, TSN.ca, TSN GO, and TSN Radio. Official broadcaster of the Grey Cup, IIHF World Junior Championship and FIFA Women’s World Cup Canada 2015, TSN’s slate of live sports coverage includes NHL, CFL, NFL, NBA, MLS, Season of Champions Curling, UEFA Euro 2016, MLB, Barclays Premier League, Golf’s Majors, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Canadian Tire Series, F1, Grand Slam Tennis, NCAA March Madness, and Skate Canada events. TSN is a division of Bell Media, which is part of BCE Inc. (TSX, NYSE: BCE), Canada’s largest communications company.
- 30 -
For More Information:
Woodbine Entertainment Group
John Siscos, (w) 416.675.3993 x2229, (c) 416.802.4842, email@example.com
Greg McIsaac, (w) 416.384.5180, (c) 416.458.3591, firstname.lastname@example.org
Renee Rouse, (w) 416.384.7599, (c) 416.428.4807, email@example.com